Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Home Sweet Home

Well, we are finally home. Although we started out with internet access in FL, the computer we had to use didn't work very well, so I wasn't able to update our blog as we would have wanted to. Grant and I flew home today. Chris drove to NC to begin his next rotation there at Camp Lejeune. He's doing Sports Medicine there, and just finished up Family Practice in Pensacola. He really liked Pensacola. Right now it is number 1 on his wish list. The town of Pensacola itself did not impress us in the least. I expected a beach paradise since so many people go to the beach there every year. While the beach was nice, the town was a typical military town, I suppose. It seemed old, dirty and a little run down. But definitely liveable. We found that cockroaches are a common problem in the area, as was evidenced by the cockroaches that I found in the house in which we were staying. I was so upset the first time I saw them that I made Chris skip working out and come home to get me out of the house. We only took one car down and since he had to work so early, he usually took it to work with him since I wasn't in the mood to get out of my bed! :-) We also had lizards down there, which was interesting. The first day we were there, we left the back porch light on. Chris called me into the kitchen that evening and there were 3 lizards on the kitchen window by the light - outside, thankfully! While we saw them every now and then, they kept to themselves most of the time. Only a few days before we left, I got in the shower and stepped on something a bit hard. I didn't have my glasses on, so it was difficult to see what it was - long and brown. At first I assumed it was hair, then after thinking about it, I realized that was a lot of hair and it was hard. So I leaned down to see what it was and as I got closer, I realized I had just stepped on a lizard! I screamed and jumped out of the shower and Chris came to save the day - he sprayed it with water and we think it went down the drain. It was the most miserable shower of my life! I shaved with one eye on the drain, resulting in knicked up legs. Ouch! So I've decided if we end up living in FL, I'm in for a rude awakening. And we're definitely having the exterminators come OFTEN! There is truly no place like home!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Your lizard-in-the-shower story made me laugh out loud. How awful. I just abhor creatures like that, so I would have reacted worse than you for sure. :)