Thursday, December 31, 2009

Here We GO!

Well, we're off. I'm currently sitting in the USO (a nice "waiting room" for military personnel and their families) in Houston, TX, waiting for our flight to Amsterdam to depart. We have had a whirlwind of a couple of months getting ready for our departure, but have been blessed beyond measure and have seen God's hand at work in mighty, incredible ways already. I can't wait to see what He does when we finally make it to Nairobi (only about another 24 hours from now...) Ugh! What a long trip! We sent out letters asking for prayer for many items at the beginning of November and have been overwhelmed with the amount of prayer and support that we have received. We had a goal of $6000 to raise for the trip, knowing that it would cost us a bit more than that and figuring that it was an extremely lofty goal. We thought the week before our trip that we'd be about $1500 short. But on Christmas Eve, we opened the mailbox and found exactly $1500!! We have had a bit more come in after that, as well, so we're thrilled that we're able to purchase additional medications and fulfill other needs while we're over there. What a blessing! I did what I thought was impossible...I left my babies for a whole month. Leaving those two sweet little guys was so difficult. I stood in the bathroom this morning and cried out to the Lord, saying, "I just don't think I can do this!" And I was really serious. But I did it. I hugged them and kissed them and told them I loved them and then turned around and walked away before they were even buckled back into their carseats. I still get teary when I think of it, but I know they're in good hands and that we're following the Lord's will right now in going to Nairobi. There's a peace. As soon as we got into the airport, we went to check in and they wanted to charge me for my bags. They didn't charge the other 3 travellers I was with, and when I called they told me I had 2 bags up to 50 pounds, so I was very confused about why I would be charged. Especially when I had been so diligent to make sure I knew all the details before we left. The people at the counter and on the phone were incredibly rude to us - and even told us they didn't believe us when we said we were on Active Duty Military Orders...good thing we did have the orders to prove it. In the end, after about 40 minutes of trying to figure it out, we finally paid the $50 and just let it go. It wasn't worth a fight. It occurred to me about half way through this incredibly frustrating scenario, that the Lord had His hand even in this...He knew that I needed something to distract me from leaving my babies. I still think God was taking care of me in all of this and keeping me from breaking down in the middle of the airport! And, amazingly, someone from our church gave us $100 to help with extra baggage costs right before we left. It covers exactly what we need for our round-trip. The Lord's hand is definitely covering us. So anyway, we're on our way. Please keep us in your prayers and we'll update you as we're able to. Mom - give my babies a huge hug and kiss for me. Tell them mommy and daddy love them!

1 comment:

Rachel, Andy, Christopher, and Kaela said...

Praying MUCH for your family. I know this month will be difficult to be separated, but also rewarding with all the work you get to do. God bless and enjoy your time!