Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sickness

Well, our house has been full of sickness for the last couple of weeks. Chris has been working in the ER and has brought a couple of bugs home, I'm afraid. He had the flu last week, which I, in turn, picked up. It was a nasty bug that has hung around with us for nearly two weeks now. And unfortunately, I can't take any medication for it since I'm pregnant, so I've been rather miserable. We have all started feeling better over the last several days, so we went over to a friend's house on Friday night thinking that we were finally over this sickness, or whatever it was. Grant was having a ball running around after 3 other little kids. He looked like he was having the time of his life, despite the fact that he just couldn't quite keep up. They were running laps around him! As we were getting ready to go, he turned around and threw up twice - all over their nice white carpet. We got it all cleaned up, and luckily they were cleaning their carpet the next day anyway. I was a bit concerned, but figured he had just had a full tummy and had been moving around an awful lot more than normal, so I assumed it was just a one time deal. We brought him home, stuck him in the tub, and put him to bed. He cried for a little while, and when we went up to bed later and checked on him, he had thrown up again - all over the bed. So we got that all cleaned up (rather Chris did - I held Grant and had to catch whatever was coming out of his mouth for the next two hours. Sorry - I know that's not a pleasant thought. We finally got him to go back to sleep around 1:00 AM and he slept through the night. Yesterday wasn't too much better. The poor kid just couldn't keep anything down. I found myself finding humor in the situation towards the end of the day. I was thinking how very differently Chris and I reacted to the situation. My instinct when I see my little man throwing up is to drop everything and use whatever is accessible to catch it - even if it is just my bare hands. Chris, on the other hand, has a very different reaction: We were sitting on the floor last night watching an animated movie to try to keep Grant entertained. All he wanted to do yesterday was lay around on someone's lap. So we put in a movie and snuggled with our little boy. I glanced over at one point and Grant was sitting on Chris' lap gagging again, so I said, "Chris, Chris - get something quick!" Instead of grabbing for the towel that I had placed beside him, Chris instinctively picked Grant up off of his lap and threw him forward. So while Grant was getting sick all over the carpet, Chris could only think to get him off his lap. It amused me. Later on, Chris was holding him again and he threw up again. I asked Chris if he were okay and with a disgusted look on his face, he looked at me and said, "It's running down my leg. It's even on my foot." I got the giggles, which I don't think he appreciated. In fact, after Grant had gone to bed and we were talking about it, I was laughing so hard that I even snorted! This is one of those situations that needs to be written in a "You know you're a parent when..." book. You know you're a parent when...you've been thrown up on at least 5 times in one day! Hopefully the little man will be feeling better today. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

3 comments:

NTSS Montgomery said...

I feel for you about the sickness stuff. We just got over the icks around our house too. It's hard being sick and being pregnant. I'm glad it's over and hopefully everyone in your house will start to feel better soon. I'm praying for you all.

UM companions said...

Okay, I'm going to try to leave a comment, just to see if it will work with your idea. Actually, I know very well that you all are sick and that you have been since January. I sure do wish I were there to help you. Love you so much. mom

Colin & Lori said...

Sara, I can totally see Chris tossing Grant off his lap and getting a little freaked out. I really laughed about that! So glad you are all doing better. Good luck with the pregnancy and delivery!! Take Care