Saturday, June 6, 2009

05.30.09 Walt Disney World - Mickey's Backyard BBQ

What fun we had! After a restful day playing at our resort, we all got dressed in our white shirts, red bandanas and bag of "gold" (actually, it was golden nuggets of chewing gum), boarded a bus and headed over to Fort Wilderness Lodge for Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Chris wasn't sure how he should wear his bandana, so it changed periodically through the night in the most ridiculous fashion, but my family's favorite way was by far the bib. I was embarrassed, but everyone else thought he was hilarious, so I was sadly outvoted. :-)
We got to meet Goofy and Chip and Dale before the show started. We had hamburgers, hot dogs, bbqed chicken, corn on the cob, wonderful watermelon, beans, salad, and unlimited Mickey Ice Cream Bars! Though I must say, the popsicles seemed to be the popular choice because it was so very hot and they were so refreshing! Grant was pretty afraid at first (he practically choked poor Grandma) but he wanted to see what was going on. And as soon as Mickey Mouse came out, Grant jumped out of our laps, and ran to the dance floor, pushed himself through all the other children clear up next to Mickey and danced the night away. He had a ball. And I don't think I got a single picture of Mickey that Grant wasn't right beside him! The music was great (country, but great just the same), there was a man who did some fabulous lasso-ing tricks, and Mickey Mouse even came to our table to meet us! Grant was in my mom's lap when he arrived, saw Mickey, climbed over Uncle Jason and snuggled right into Mickey's lap for our pictures. He was so funny! I tried to take him to see Goofy, Chip and Dale and Minnie Mouse, but he'd just say, "No, Mommy go. Grant stay with my Mickey." He didn't even care if I was there or not! So we've found a new love for little Grant: Mickey Mouse!

4 comments:

Jan said...

I love seeing your entire family having such a great time together! And I'm impressed by the extra planning and coordination to make for even cuter pictures and a more memorable vacation!
I think Lenox would have the opposite experience of Grant - he'd love the rides and be afraid of getting close to the characters!

Jessi said...

Looks like you guys had a great time in Orlando! The boys are getting SO big!

UM companions said...

wow! We did have fun didn't we! Love that picture of me with Grant strangling me. Thanks alot of sharing that lovely shot of me with all your friends!

Rachel, Andy, Christopher, and Kaela said...

Looks like so much fun! I'm glad you all were able to take some time off and enjoy being a family - isn't it wonderful. I'm daily blessed by our children and so happy that you appear to be constantly enjoying yours as well. We're all definitely blessed by God. I can't wait to meet those handsome boys! I think I need to come to FL. =)