Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Birthday, Grant!

It is so hard to believe, but our little Grant turned THREE years old yesterday! How time does fly! Isn't it amazing how much he's changed through the years?
Grant at Two Weeks:Grant at One Year:
Grant at Two Years
Grant at Three Years
He had a busy day - filled with VBS both in the morning and evening, grilling out his requested hamburgers and macaroni and cheese (yes, he is his mother's son!) along with fresh fruit and chocolate cake, opening gifts and swimming at our pool and topping it off with a special ice cream treat at Dairy Queen way past his bedtime. What fun we had!
Grant was absolutely adorable Thursday night - the night before his birthday. I was rocking him in the chair, telling him that his birthday was the next day and asking what he thought we should to to celebrate. I told him we would open presents to which he responded, "It's Christmas!" I explained it was LIKE Christmas, but Christmas was celebrating Jesus' birthday and June 19th was celebrating Grant's birthday. That seemed to satisfy him, but he wanted his presents now! So I told him first he had to go to sleep, then when he woke up in the morning, it would be his birthday. He said, "Grant's birthday is when we open presents and eat cake?" (Amazing what sticks with a kid, huh?) I laughed and agreed, upon which he jumped out of my lap, ran to his bedroom and shouted to me, "I love you! I'm going to bed!" I laughed and went about my business. It was only 6:30, so I knew he wouldn't go to sleep. A few minutes later, he came running out with a huge smile on his face shouting, "Mommy, it's my BIRTHday!" I wish you could have seen the joy and innocence on that precious child's face. It was precious indeed.
After going to bed for real, he got up at 3:00 AM, came to my room and told me it was his birthday. I agreed, told him it was still time to sleep and took him back to his bed where he told me he was just "too excited." Then at 6:30 he came back in, smiling big and telling me it was his birthday. Chris and I stuck him between us, sang Happy Birthday to him and gave him a big hug. But he'd have nothing to do with snuggling. The kid wanted cake! Of course we waited for that until after lunch, but boy, was he excited! Everyone he saw, he'd tell them, "It's my birthday!" whether he knew them or not. What a special day he had. What a special boy he is. He's growing up to be such a gentleman, and mommy and daddy couldn't be more proud!

1 comment:

UM companions said...

I love the sprinkles on his cake. I can see Grant having the time of his life putting on the sprinkles. That is some "crap"adile you bought him...I love it! Can't wait to come in August and take it to the beach!