Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Doctor Visit

Throughout this whole ordeal, Chris has been telling me that there's nothing more that the doctors at the hospital can do than what we're doing here at home. Chris had checked his ears, listened to his breathing, felt for lymph nodes in unusual places, etc. He was confident that whatever Mason had it was not life threatening. If we took him to the hospital, they would do all sorts of really invasive, terrible tests, and he really wanted to avoid that at all costs. Saturday and Sunday when the fever was so high, I was really freaking out and he finally in exasperation told me to take Mason in to the ER and he would stay home with Grant. Well, I wasn't about to do that. First, I really didn't want to go to the ER by myself and second, I wanted to show Chris that I have faith in him as a doctor. Well, he was right. He scheduled an appointment for Mason today, so I took him up to the hospital at 2:00. Dr. Sams, the program director, came in, listened to the story, checked his ears, listened to his breathing, checked for lymph nodes in unusual places and told me that because all of those things were normal, that the next step would be these horribly invasive tests. He said if it were his kid, he'd ride it out a few more days because Mason does not look terribly sick, and while we were there Mason was smiling, laughing, clapping, etc. He suspects that Mason has Roseola. Basically, it is a fever for 5-7 days, then after the fever breaks, you break out in a rash. Though there are no signs of a rash at this point, we're on the lookout. If Mason has a fever greater than 102 tomorrow, we'll take him back in for the tests. But I'm hoping to avoid that at all costs! Hopefully he merely has this common childhood infection, roseola. And to Chris I'm happy to say, "You were right, Honey." He really does know what he's talking about, and he continues to impress me with his medical expertise!

5 comments:

Ruvin said...

I hope that Mason gets all better! Poor guy. And you are no doubt exhausted by now! Poor Sara. Hang in there. I like your blog a lot and all the pictures of your cute family!
Ruth

Spencer, Gretchen & Adelyn said...

I have been thinking of you all so much. I will continue to pray for your little guy. Miss you all!!!

Rachel, Andy, Christopher, and Kaela said...

Praying for Mason and you!! I know that's so nerve-wracking. =) Just proves you're a good mom, right?! Isn't our job to worry about our children? ;)

Anonymous said...

I hope your son is healthy again soon! :)

Kelly and Steve said...

Haven't seen a blog update in a while - just checking to make sure everything is OK! I know you're busy. Hope Mason is all better!