Monday, March 2, 2009

Mason Update

Well, poor Mason is still one sick little boy. It's funny - one minute he just wants to lay on my lap, and the next, he's sitting up laughing at Grant, clapping his hands, and trying to walk. It has baffled us greatly. We can't figure out how a baby that's so sick can act so normal. This is very encouraging to Chris, signalling that Mason's doing very well, despite the high fevers. Yesterday he awoke with a fever of 103. It went up to 104.7, and it never went below 103 until about 7:00 last night when it finally broke. He was very hyper for about an hour and we really enjoyed playing with him. I was concerned yesterday because he stopped eating and I couldn't really get him to drink much, either. So I resorted to trying something to drink about every 45 minutes or so. He would take about an ounce at a time, so at least he was staying somewhat hydrated. Chris spoke with a senior resident, explained his symptoms, etc, and they agreed the best line of treatment at this point was to start him on a round of antibiotics. If they haven't helped within 48 hours, we'll have to take him in for some more extensive testing (including a lumbar puncture, lots of blood work, a catheter, etc. Ugh!!) I'm really hoping and praying that it won't come to that...I just don't know if this mom could handle it! After his first round of antibiotics, he threw up. I'm hoping that he can keep them down. If not, we'll be making a trip to the hospital for sure. When we went to bed last night, Mason didn't have a fever at all. I was feeling so encouraged. But I was awoken at 2:00 by screams. When I went in to check on him, he was burning up and his fever had spiked to 104.5 again. Grrr. I was up with him for a couple of hours, felt the fever break, put him back to bed and was encouraged when I got up that it is only about 100.5 this morning. Hopefully it will stay down. The poor kid is just getting medicine all day long between tylenol, motrin and augmenten. Yuck. I feel so sorry for him. So, keep praying for him (and for me - Chris said I'm a typical mom...the kind that drive doctor's crazy! Ha!). Hopefully next time I post, I'll have some encouraging news!! Thanks for all your prayers. Oh - something sort of cute...Chris had pulled out his stethescope while I was holding Mason yesterday morning. Grant stood there and watched him listen to Mason's breathing, then ran to the play room. A few minutes later, he returned with his toy stethescope, placed it on Mason's back right next to Daddy's and they listened together. It was so cute. He said that he had fixed Mason. He's been very concerned about his little brother and is constantly reminding me, "Mommy, Mason's a sick boy!"

1 comment:

Spencer, Gretchen & Adelyn said...

Oh Sara, we will be praying for you, How hard that must be to see your little guy sick.