Thursday, May 7, 2009

05.04.2009 Fender Bender

It's been quite the month! Not only have we been moving, but our whole family has been trading illnesses back and forth for quite a while. Last Sunday, Mason was in the ER for 8 hours. He had this terrible open sore behind both of his ears, and a cough/cold, and then his fever spiked up to 104.8. Chris was on call that night, so I called him and said I was bringing him in. We got his fever to go down and they ran a bunch of tests - a catheter, an IV (taking several tries both times they had to do it), some fluids, an antibiotic, throat and wound swabs and x-rays later, we were sent home and told to come back the next morning. So I took him back, and the family doctor said he had infantigo. His heart rate was elevated from his high fevers and they debated whether or not they should admit him to the hospital. I just didn't know what I would do had they done that. This mom couldn't have handled that, i don't think. It turns out his strep test came back positive later that day, as well, so it was determined that he had strep throat as well. Upon further testing, it was found that our WHOLE family had strep throat. You can imagine we were a joy to be around. We're all on antibiotics now, though, and Mason's infantigo has cleared up and we're all feeling much better. Chris' parents were here last week, thankfully, and were a wonderful help. They kept Grant while I took Mason to the doctor. They kept the kids while we closed on our house. They cleaned, packed, painted and helped us get ready to move. Unfortunately, they caught our strep throat in the midst of it all, so they were sent home with antibiotics and hopefully were able to catch up on some rest. We worked them pretty hard. To top it all off, Sunday afternoon, I was on my way to get a twin mattress so that our company that was coming Monday afternoon would have a place to sleep. I was stopped at a stop light, preparing to turn when all the sudden, I was slammed into from behind. It was rather scary - I checked on my kids (who didn't even cry, by the way), checked my car, called 911 and the gentleman who hit me still did not get out of his car. I had 911 stay on the phone with me while I went to check on him. He seemed really strange - had me get his baby out of the car, call his wife, and kept telling me he couldn't see. So I had them send paramedics. It turned out that he was in diabetic shock and his insulin was supposed to be around 100; instead it was almost 500. Wow! They took him to the hospital and gave me all the information I needed. We were all fine. The kids weren't hurt at all. It really wasn't a bad accident, although the trunk on my van won't close now. It's dented in really badly. It definitely needs fixed. So I called his insurance company and they said that he dropped his coverage over a year ago. So now we're in the midst of dealing with the police and trying to figure out what to do. Ugh. So frustrating. To top it all off, his insurance company said that I was not alone...he was in another accident the very next day! Yikes! The man needs to be off the road!

2 comments:

West05 said...

I am exhausted just reading about all you have had going on. I hope you get a much needed break soon! So glad you are all safe and on your way back to good health!

Darrick and Krista Neibaur said...

Oh Sara, what a month. I'm so glad I'm not in the midst of a move right now. I hope you all recovery completely very soon and stay healthy through the summer! Thank goodness for supportive parents. We miss you guys!