Thursday, January 21, 2010

1/20/2010

Oh, I am just so ready to come home! I’m getting terribly homesick in these last few days. Today I was asked to give the morning devotion. I was speaking of the Psalm that says, “This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!” I thought I would be fine - it’s easy to be joyful about this Psalm. But I found myself speaking about my children and losing all composure. I miss them so. Clinic was not too eventful today. They did see a couple of things that were interesting. A 1 ½ year old child that looked like he was about 6 months old and a child who had a very strange rash all over his body. I even filled a prescription for someone who’s diet consisted only of potatoes and ugale. No wonder he was having stomach issues! I wished my sister were here today because we had someone here who was deaf but spoke American sign language. I can only sign a few things for my children, so I wasn’t much help. But I knew Stephanie would have saved the day. I came back and packed up all of our things while it was still light out so I could see what I was doing. I have been told that we’re not able to take carry-ons on the plane from here to Brussels, so I’ve been trying to wrap up all of our souvenirs carefully. Hopefully nothing will break. I ran back up to clinic to say my good-byes and was surprised by the entire Dispensary Board who had printed off certificates to thank all of us for coming. It was very thoughtful of them. Afterwards, we had Fantas and talked for a while. One of the members of the board asked Chris if he was married yet. Chris said yes and graciously reached over to introduce me. The man looked at me and said, “If your husband lived here, he would quickly become a polygamist.” I laughed and tried to be gracious, but I must say, I really didn’t find it too funny. Polygamy is common here, so I’m sure his comment was just a product of his culture. In all honesty, however, I wasn’t quite sure how to take it. Somehow I felt like I just didn’t quite measure up to his expectations. I was glad for the sympathetic smile from across the room from my dear husband that assured me that he knows that I’m all the wife he needs! There’s definitely no more room for another wife in our life together! Ha! J Mama and Papa Kibarita arrived today. They have been living in Canada for the last 3 years and haven’t seen their family through that entire time, so the Kibarita household has been busy preparing for their arrival for several days. I know that they are so excited to see them, so I feel a bit like I need to just stay out of the way and let them have their time together. That’s not, however, panning out so well. Yesterday, I was supposed to learn how to make chapati with a lady from the church at her home. She went home to take a nap, however, and never came back to get me, so I figured she just forgot. Today, however, she asked me why I never came. So after I explained, she said she would come to the Kibarita’s tonight. I told her Mama and Papa were coming and perhaps it wasn’t a good night…but I could come to her house. She, however, is insistent upon coming to the Kibarita shamba. She says they’re very good friends and wouldn’t mind a bit. I wasn’t quite sure what to do, so I ran home to tell the Kibaritas and ask their advice. Luckily they think it is funny because they know she just wants to see Mama and Papa. The funny thing is, though, they weren’t even sure who the lady was. “Very good friends,“ indeed. So I’m learning to cook chapati tonight over an open fire. It was pretty interesting. It's quite a complicated process! We enjoyed our evening with Mama and Papa Kibarita and their entire family. We had about 30 people crammed into one living room. We enjoyed our fellowship immensely.

2 comments:

West05 said...

Whew, what an adventure! It is amazing and inspirational the difference you have made in so many lives and in your own! I look forward to hearing how you feel once you arrive back at home and love on those boys of yours.

UM companions said...

We read every word of all of the entries...but are just posting on this one. What an adventure. Is your head/hair healing yet? How about the esophagus? We called Chris' parents today to see how the boys are knowing that you are coming home today. They were two little bundles of energy when I talked to them today. They are so excited to see you. I only wish I could be there to watch them greet you. I am anxiously waiting to talk to you and hear/see all about every detail - although your blogs are wonderfully detailed. Love you and can't wait to see you. Mom