Monday, January 4, 2010

Pride and Mission...do they mix?

Is it wrong to feel incredibly proud on a mission trip? If so, I am quite guilty today. You should have seen my husband today working in the medical clinic. The grace with which he handled the 172 patients we saw today was admirable - Christ-like, loving, gentle and kind. I stood and watched him handle these patients with such care, and I beamed with pride. We have been married for nearly 6 years. I've known him as a loving husband, great father, a meticulous medical student, a diligent resident (and quite frankly a work-a-holic, forced though it may be), a wonderful provider and a caring friend. But never have I seen him in the role of "Doctor." I must say, I could not be any prouder to be his wife than I am today. Because I saw a part of my husband that I have never known today. I knew what he did, but I've never seen him do it before. And I'm awfully proud. I was a bit nervous to return to the World Hope Center today. I shared with you earlier my experience in the slums. I was afriad of my reaction to it and spent a lot of time in prayer over the last few days, as I know many of you did, as well. Thank you. I was not sure I was ready to go back there again today. I started out assisting the doctors as they needed it today. Okay...maybe it was more like taking pictures like crazy for a while. Because of the doctors' great efficiency and ability, however, I quickly learned that there wasn't much need for me there. I decided to try to entertain the children for a while with 2 others. We sang songs, played "Duck Duck Goose" etc. It was amazing to me how many kids came to the medical clinic without their parents. Older siblings brought their baby siblings. This one little girl wanted to play so badly, but her hands were full with a baby, so I offered to hold the baby while she played. Sweet, sweet baby who didn't smell good and was wrapped in a black scarf that was soaking wet. As I held this sweet child that would not take her eyes off me (the Kenyan's told me it was because she'd never seen a white person before) she pottied all over me 3 different times. It was running down my skirt, soaking it, my shirt, and the floor. I prayed for miracles before we came and today I witnessed my first miracle on this trip: I didn't care. I didn't care that they were dirty. I didn't care that I had potty all over me (well, okay, maybe a little, but not like I should have). I didn't care when I was sitting on the floor playing that the little girls could not stop running their fingers through my hair because they said it was soft and silky. I actually had fun with them. They made me laugh, brought me joy, and I was able to love them. Two days ago, I did not think that was possible. Thank You, Lord, for my miracle. I must admit, I was never so thankful for a shower and clean clothes as I was tonight! Chris saw some pretty amazing things today: * A woman who's earlobes were huge - they were actually keloid scars from previous piercing. * A man with what they think is polio - I have never seen someone that when they walk, their toes are floppy. Amazing! * A boy with a partial ruptured quad - there was actually a divot in this kid's leg! * A woman with an open wound on her leg that she's had for five years so deep that you could visibly see about 4 inches deep into her leg, nearly down to the bone! Most of what he saw, however, were people who just wanted to be touched and loved. The most wonderful news came from the pastor tonight. Because of the evangelism shared today, of the 172 patients seen today, 30 of them came to know Christ! I'd say that's exciting and successful! If only one person came to know Christ through this trip, I'd feel like it was all worth it. And there's already 30! Praise the Lord. Missing you all. Thankful for your prayers.

3 comments:

UM companions said...

Dearest Sara:
Thanks for the excellent news and information about how you are doing and what you are experiencing. It sounds like you are having a very successful beginning to a wonderful and life-changing mission trip. I am very pleased with what we are hearing about the medical care and the response to the care of the physical body by people responding to their spiritual needs as well. Great news! We love and you are praying for you daily. Ready to go take care of your two boys on Wednesday. Dad wishes he could share the experience with you and Chris or at least help take care of Grant and Mason. Keep in touch. Dad will continue reading in Kokomo and Mom will keep in touch from Jacksonville. Love you much. Mom and Dad
T

UM companions said...

Just read your blog to Grandma and Grandpa - he was wondering if you can share this stuff with your church? We certainly are enjoying reading it and the way you write make us feel like we are there with you. Love you Mom

Wonderspace said...

Enjoyed the pictures! We're praying for you and hoping you continue to have an amazing time! Love you both!