Wednesday, July 23, 2008

07.22.08 A Day Worth Forgetting

Yesterday was truly a day worth forgetting. It seemed the longer the day went, the worse it got. Let's hope today does not follow that trend. Chris and I had met with a financial advisor on Monday afternoon. After discussing our options, we decided to invest with this company, so I was to take a couple of checks over to them first thing Tuesday morning. I couldn't reach them by phone, so I went to our bank and had them do a cashier's check in the name of the company that we're using. I then drove the 1/2 hour to the office to drop off our money. When I got inside, they told me that it couldn't be made out to their office - it had to be made out to the investment plan. Sigh. So I drove a 1/2 hour back to the bank, had to wait for the same teller to become available so that we could do it all over again. I then had to drive home - another 20 minutes - to get another check from our other bank, all the while listening to poor Mason scream his heart out in the backseat. Usually Mason will go to sleep in the car. But not this time. He proceeded to scream all the way back to the investment office - another 30 minutes - and all the way home - another 30 mintues! I bet you that kid screamed for 2 hours total. Grant and I had had it! We had left at 8:00 in the morning, and didn't pull in our driveway until 11:20. I had other errands to run and didn't get any of them done because I had to come home for naps, which I must admit, I was looking forward to. Once we got home, all three of us took a great two hour nap! The boys woke up, we played for a while, and Mason fell back to sleep. Now the front door on our house has two locks - the deadbolt and the lock on the handle itself. I am very careful to always check to be sure the door is unlocked when I go out because Grant likes to play with the handle, and often locks it in the process. So I was trying to keep Emma Lou inside, had Grant, wearing only a diaper, in my arms, and shutting the door so that we could quickly check the mail. As soon as I shut the door, I thought, "Oh, no! I didn't check to see if it was locked!" I turned the handle, and sure enough, I had locked us out of the house. Mason was inside sleeping, and I was trying not to panic. I went to the back door and it was secure, I tried our bedroom window because I knew that it was unlocked, so I took the screen out of the window only to find that they have security measures that you can only open it from the inside. I then went over to our neighbor's house. Grant and I were both shoe-less, and Grant didn't have any pants on, just a diaper. I've only talked to them two times since we've lived here. I told her what happened and asked to use the phone. Since I didn't have my cell phone, I didn't have Chris' pager number so I couldn't get ahold of him. His cell doesn't get any service in the hospital. After finding the number to the hospital, I was transferred from person to person, given various phone numbers and didn't get any help. I was getting very frazzled because poor Mason was in the house alone. Finally a man answered the phone and I, a little choked up, explained that I really needed my husband because my infant was locked inside the house by himself. He was very kind and found Chris for me. When Chris said he'd just call me back, the corpsman even insisted that he take my call. Whew! Chris was able to leave immediately which was great. But we still had to wait 30 minutes before he would get home. We left our neighbor's house and waited outside. I stood by the window of the room Mason was in and could hear him screaming. After a couple of minutes of that, I moved so that I could no longer hear him. It was making me very upset. Chris finally got home, and I ran inside to the back room to get Mason. To my dismay, I found him in the bassinett, which is where I left him, however, he had somehow grabbed ahold of the skirt around the bassinett and pulled it over him, rolled over and was completely twisted up in the bedskirt. It was wrapped around his face, and I couldn't get him out very easily . I called Chris in to see what had happened once I had finally gotten my poor baby out. I held him and cried. And cried. And cried. I am so thankful that my poor little one is safe. It freaked me out - big time! It still makes me cry to think about it! After having a very late dinner, Chris went outside to see what was going on with his motorcycle. He went to start it that morning and couldn't get it to start. He was out in the garage working on it until 10:30 last night getting grumpier and grumpier the longer he couldn't get it to start. It's still not working. Hopefully our neighbor's friend can come look at it tonight. Chris is very upset about it, understandably so. On top of that, Chris went to get a tool at the store, and the garage door opener wouldn't work for him. It worked earlier in the day, but stopped working sometime after I got home. It seemed nothing would go right yesterday. On the plus side, because of the fiasco with the bassinett, I put Mason in the crib last night in their room. Until now, I had Mason in the guest room in the bassinett. I laid both boys down at the same time and amazingly only had to go in once to put the pacifier back in Mason's mouth. Otherwise, they both went to sleep quite well. Mason did, however, get up from 3:30-5:15 and Grant got up at 5:30, so I've been up since 3:30 and am very tired. I'm praying today is a better day with no more near suffocations or worst mom of the year awards. Wish us luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sara!!!! I definitely feel for you! That was a terrible day! I hope you never experience that again. I really understand though because I have had similar experiences. Though, I have not locked them in the house yet. I have locked us all out before though with no where to go ;-). Anyway, you are NOT the worst mom of the year! You are far from that girl! I am sure today will be better! Love you!

NTSS Montgomery said...

Sara, I couldn't help but chuckle to myself since we all have days like this. It made me feel better knowing that I wasn't the only one that has had days like that. You are a great mom despite having an awful day and your kids know that. :)

Courtney W. said...

Oh my goodness, what a day! I feel awful that so many things happened at once! I was just thinking to myself today, that I needed to go get another key made to give to my neighbor b/c I had the same thing almost happen to me yesterday, I went to the garage to get dog food and bumped into the door almost closing it (which would lock it). I feel so bad that you had such a tough day yesterday! Let me know If I can do anything! Patrick has not even come home before 9pm this week!sigh.. otherwise I'd invite yall over for dinner..but I like to wait for him to eat :(

UM companions said...

Great story! It made me laugh all the way through and this is the second time I heard it! I do hope you can get some sleep tonight. I wish I were there to help you - Grandma would watch the kids and give you a rest bit.

Bronson Clan said...

Oh man Sara! That does sound like an awful day! I'm sorry you had to have a day like that. But just think, it will make all the other normal days seem awesome! Your friend MAryAnn Wilder e-mailed me because she lives near us, and we decided you guys should definitely come visit this area and come say hi to us. :) That would be so much fun!