Sunday, June 3, 2007

Oh, the joy...

Oh, what a morning! Chris has started doing his ER rotation this month. Since we are leaving on June 18 for Italy, he has to work really hard to get all of his shifts in before we leave. Needless to say, his schedule is hectic, to say the least. When he is at the hospital, basically he is unable to be reached. He had to work 7AM-7PM today, so he got up at 5:30, studied a bit and went to the hospital. Grant got up around 6 and was up for about an hour, taking a nap around 7:00. I went back to sleep myself and awoke to a strange tapping noise. I looked to see what time it was only to find our electricity was out. I got up and walked around to check things out, not really seeing anything impressive. I got ready for church and then when I stepped out of the bathroom, I stepped in a puddle of water right outside of Grant's door. His doorframe was leaking. It was raining outside and I realized that it was coming in through our attic, down through his doorframe. Hence the mysterious tapping noise. It was only made louder when I placed our aluminum trash can under it to catch the dripping water. Clank, Clank, Clank! I immediately called the emergency number I had for our maintenance man, only to find the number had been disconnected. So I called the office and the answering machine there gave me the same disconnected emergency number. Ugh. Chris is in the ER all day, all of our friends around us moved away this last week, and I couldn't hoist myself up into our attic myself to get our stuff down and keep it from getting water damage. Finally I got ahold of a friend across town (which was a feat because everyone was at church) and they brought a ladder over. I climbed into the attic and was horrified as I realized that all of our boxes were saturated. And moldy, suggesting that this is not the first time they were wet. So my friend and I brought everything down from the attic and laid it on my shower curtain which I placed on the floor in my bedroom, meanwhile listening to the screams (so bad that it made him gag) of my 11 month old son who so badly wanted to be held instead of being quarentined in his bedroom by the baby-gate). My house smells horrible. Moldy. But right now I'm taking a break. I'll move the ruined boxes outside here in a few minutes. But right now, I'm finding it so refreshing to sit down for just a moment.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh Sara! I hope not too many of your things were ruined. How awful! Miss you!