Thursday, June 14, 2007

Woes

Today was a bit of a rough day on me. Chris' parents arrived late last night, and it made everything a bit more real to me. I really am going to leave my son for two weeks. What was I thinking? To exacerbate matters, Grant decided to do something very cruel, very mean on this, the few days before I get on a plane and walk away from him. He began throwing up. A lot. So bad that he was dry heaving. I feel so sorry for him. It's so hard to see your kids sick - and then I think about leaving, and it tears me apart. Could my son be here sick while I'm off in Europe gallavanting around enjoying myself? My first thought was if he's throwing up on Sunday, there's no way I'm going to be getting on that plane. Of course I know that's ridiculous. I have to get on that plane and walk away. And yet, that's exactly what I was thinking. Grant's not a snuggler. Today he was. And I loved every minute of it. He sat on my lap and let me rock him for an hour before falling asleep and letting me hold him for another hour while he slept. Poor baby. He obviously is not feeling well. There's just something about being sick and just wanting your mom. Well, let me tell you, when my little man is sick, I just want to be mom. I don't want to be clear across the world. I'm praying he feels better tomorrow so I can go away with a clearer conscience. On another subject, Chris was to complete his ER rotation today. He got a call late this afternoon from his site coordinator telling him that the dean wanted to know how many shifts he had completed. Twelve. Well, evidentally, he is supposed to complete 14 and even though the dean herself approved him to leave for Italy 5 months ago, knowing full well the dates he was scheduled to leave, she has decided to count this rotation as incomplete. He didn't make up the schedule. He just adhered to it. How was he supposed to know he had to do 14 shifts unless someone told him? What a bunch of bologna. She's just being a bum. Chris fulfilled exactly what he was asked to do. And she tells him the very last day, not allowing him any time to rearrange his schedule with his preceptor. So now what? Take an incomplete after working every day for the last 14 days and completely wearing himself out? She's just having a grumpy day and is taking it out on Chris. I'm pretty irritated. I'm sure you can tell. And so despite deeply engrained excitement to spend the next two weeks in Italy, it seems a bit shadowed by frustration tonight. Let's hope tomorrow is a better day.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh Sara...you're in my prayers. I love you.